Monday, January 29, 2007

Shopping Day!

Yes, 'shopping day'...

As you may know if you have ever been to our house, my wife is a total pro decorator and treasure hunter. Our kids had a sleep-over at their cousins' on Saturday night so I agreed to hit the junk piles- scratch that, flea markets- with her on Sunday morning.

She was easy on me- we didn't leave before sunrise like she usually does... I got to sleep-in until 7 or so!!

Flea markets are serious stuff for her- I had to fuel up with Starbucks in order to keep up- it's kinda like walking somewhere with the kids- they have to practically jog to keep up with you.

So I was out on my jog around these booths with old crap from all over the world while Jeni was chatting with her junk buddies and scanning each booth like a lion scanning for gazelle. She can scan a whole booth of stuff in about 3.4 seconds... and move on to the next one.

Actually, I love old stuff and there was a bunch of very cool things to check out and photograph of course!! I just brought my little point-n-shoot so I wouldn't scare the vendors.

These old metal balls were from France- the couple that ran this booth were French- there were people from all over the world there!!
There is lots of fun costume jewelry... I loved the shape and arrangement of these mannequins:

This guy had some super cool stuff, Jeni loved these old wooden bowling pins- he knocked them over so we could experience the unique sound of real wood pins falling over. It took me back to the old days sitting in a smoke filled bowling alley playing as a child. This wasn't a regular occurrence growing up, but we did it a few times.

The owner of the booth informed us that the decorators from Anthro were recently at his house picking up stuff for a new location coming to the OC- Jeni hopes it's in Fullerton!!After the flea market in Santa Monica, we went to a shop on Melrose after getting a famous 'Pinks' hot dog. Then we headed for Venice to check out another shop called Bountiful. Jeni was short of breath at this place- so much cool, unique stuff. This shot was taken out back were the only stuff we could afford was located..... For me, the junkier and more worn, the better! We got a few frames from down South and split.
As we left this shop, we saw Paris Hilton in a photo shoot- right in front of the store and the store next door. It was cool, they had the camera on a tripod right there in the street with a computer and a bunch of people standing around it criticizing each shot.... I love weddings!!

(although a shoot like that would be blast to do!)

We returned home with only a few things... and I got a plant as my reward for being a good sport!

Total Tally:
flea markets- 2
antique shops- 3
miles travelled- 80
venti coffees- 2
photos-75

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you honey...you were such a trooper :)