Sunday, September 03, 2006

Jared Bauman Rocks!!

So yesterday I had a wedding at Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego (very cool place). I gave myself three hours to get there thinking that traffic might be bad. Traffic turned out to be worse than bad- it was horrendous!!! I was on and off the freeway trying to 'swoop' but other's had the same idea and all the streets around the 5 were clogged. My assistant, Stefanie, was a good sport- she didn't even puke due to my erratic driving.

I realized when it took us two hours to get to Dana Point I was not going to make it to the wedding on time- the worst feeling in the world!!!

I was totally freaking out and started calling some photographers in SD that I know to see if they could cover me. Only voicemails!!

As I was driving over the pass (Ortega Highway) to escape the interstate 5 parking lot I lost reception on the cell phone! It was like stepping back in time 10 years- I have no idea how we ever made it without mobile phones! I felt totally helpless and we were stuck behind the slowest car/ driver ever to exist!

When reception was restored I had Jeni (my wife) calling photographers (she was home) out of the blue. She got Jared Bauman's cell from another helpful photographer and told him the deal (I called his office line earlier but just got v.mail). He had no idea who we were but was just the coolest- I could've been some Joe Schmoe for all he knew but he totally wanted to help, he was calling other shooters and giving us numbers too. He couldn't do it because he had some appointments in the OC and was getting ready to head north...

When we couldn't find anyone to help he made some changes to his plans and headed to the hotel to cover for us!!!
So, Jared is now our big hero guy- Jeni and I are so amazed by his kindness and generosity!
I got there about an hour late and of course the girls were running late too, but Jared was there covering the getting ready portion of the day (he did a damn fine job by the way- he is a great shooter!)- it all ended up great as the coordinator Emily Smiley and the Bride were very understanding- Emily actually asked for some brochures and cards after seeing the images on my slideshow!!
A great end to a day that started out so horribly.

I am so fortunate to know all the photographers I do. Wedding shooters are the greatest people (maybe we are so happy and helpful because we get to do what we love for work!), they/we are all ready to help when need be- and we are all competitors!! I was on Jared's turf and he was still amazing!

Other helpful photographers who didn't even know us were Kristen Peelle (thanks for all the numbers) and Lauren Dillon- she was in San Francisco at an event but gave us some numbers of other shooters. She then called back with more!! you guys are the best- thanks so much!!!

Thanks Jared, you are the man! I am indebted to you always.

1 comment:

Sara France Photography said...

I am not surprised! Jared is a great guy and what goes around comes around. The help that you have always been so gracious with yourself is coming back to you.