Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mandy and Dave

The news last week said it may rain this past Saturday so my engagement shoot with Mandy and Dave was up-in-the-air. What a crazy thing: the weatherman was wrong! The skies were blue and the temp was perfect! Jeni (my wife) was my assistant so Bay and Cayse just played on the rocks- they love any chance they get to go to the beach.

We shot in an undisclosed (top secret) beach in Laguna- Dave proposed there!! I love it when we shoot in a place with some meaning. They were so great to shoot- they were up for anything! Even standing on a rock in front of the waves! They got a little soaked once but they were troopers so we continued...

Straight from the camera as they walked:

I love the long shadows of afternoons in winter:
This cool light is from a reflector- they are a pain in the neck but you can't get this light any other way!!
These rocks were very cool with the diagonal lines- I usually have to tip the camera to get a dynamic image with diagonal lines. This was Photoshopped a little- dodging with the history brush in 'Multipy' mode and I used two curve adjustment layers as well- one for the subject and one for the rock.
They were cracking up because I couldn't stop shooting! I get a little excited sometimes as you know, if you have ever been in front of my camera. This shot was on the stairs on our way back to the cars- I just loved the lines of the stairs and the backlight. They were such pros- we shot about six frames here in about 15 seconds and got this great moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That shadow pictire is cool. I'm going to try that soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Joel Eckman Maus said...

Thanks so much. The low sun is always good!
I used Kubotas cross process action with a little modification to get the color shift.

joel