Wednesday, July 19, 2006

it always helps to start with a great subject


So, the easiest way to make a great portrait is to start with a great subject. Jen, above, from last Saturday's wedding was a great model. Not only is she beautiful (which also helps in making a nice image), but she was confident enough to play and move and have fun.

With subjects that are less pro than Jen I always try to get them to move and play a little. It feels very goofy to act like a model if you have never done it before so most of the time my clients are a little static. I explain that the more they move, the more varied the shots will be and the more we will have to choose from. I then encourage them with compliments when they start to loosen up and the ball gets rolling.

I am not a good poser because set-up shots to me look too fake... I let my subjects move and play while I shoot. As they are moving around there are moments when everything just lines up and 'clicks'. Then I yell "stop, hold it" and continue to shoot at different angles and with different lenses. This looks way more natural than any pose I could force upon them....

ps: Jen and her new hubby got a video ipod with a slideshow of images on it the morning after their wedding- they were stoked!!

2 comments:

Joel Eckman Maus said...

Thanks for the comment, Tim. I greatly appreciate your time in letting me know your satisfaction. I had a great time with you all hope to work with you again. People like are why I am a wedding photographer...

joel

Joel Eckman Maus said...

Tim, people like YOU are why I am a wedding photographer!!

(I should proofread....)

joel