Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Italy!!!

Wow! Italy was a great place to make photos, that's for sure. I shot a few thousand images in the two weeks I was there. Stories abound about the people, the sites and the culture.
Of course the main purpose of the trip was to cover a wedding so I will begin with photos from that.


They have many different wedding customs than we do but there are also many that were similar to ours.

After the Groom gets ready and honks his horn as he passes the Brides house (you can actually hear a horn anywhere in the town from anywhere else in the town) on his way to the church to give the 'all clear' for the Bride to walk through the town with her entire family on their way to the church. Neighbors all come out and chuck rice and candy almonds at them as they pass...















This photo was after the ceremony. The church is in a little square and they had to walk up the street to get to the car... The only BMW 3 series in the town (borrowed).














I was hoping to get more images of the Bride and Groom in the streets or at a castle but I didn't want to be pushy- they wanted to shoot at a park filled with trees... Just like the park behind my house!!


I did manage to get a handful of shots with buildings in the background.

The custom of writing on the get-away car is alive and well there. The Groom's buddies did a bang up job-- with toothpaste!! There were even representations of genitalia and toothpaste under the door knob to make a mess of the couple's hands as they opened the doors....


All in all the couple was great to shoot- both pretty goofy and fun- and the friends and family were amazingly hospitable. I felt like a mime at the reception because I couldn't communicate verbally- I was even more of a dork than normal to get people to laugh and have fun. They all nicknamed me 'Photo Clown'...

1 comment:

Sara France Photography said...

So cool! Great stuff Joel!