Thursday, May 03, 2007

My First Surf and Sand Gig!

This past Saturday I had the pleasure of covering the wedding of Tara and Dustin at Surf and Sand in Laguna. Tara is the sweetest girl- Dustin is a little crazier but also a joy to be around.

I have wanted to shoot at S&S with my buddy Sandy (catering manager there) ever since I attended an ABC dinner there over a year ago. The grounds are very picturesque- Mediteranian feeling with a little modern flair. Imagine terra-cotta pots containing olive trees next to a sleek green glass fountain.

Sandy didn't work our event, but I did get to meet her associate, Sarah Wilde, who was great to work with.

The weather was a little yucky but that made for great light for shooting so I was happy! We hung out with all the boys for a bit before getting over to the girls' room- all 10 of them!
This was right out a tiny little side balconyj- the guys thought I was an idiot for shooting here given that the other balcony had a 180 degree view of the ocean... hey, it's all about the light boys! They loved this shot when they saw it in the slideshow at the reception- then they were all friendly again...lol.
Tara had a crazy long vail... like 10 feet or so. I love the wooden shutters!
Tara is a total model- so pro!
Another shot against a wall.... I did get some shots of the girls with a view behind them but I like the symetry of this one.
St. John Vianney Chapel on Balboa Island was one of the toughest churches I have shot in... but we got some great shots!
Right next door to the chapel was the famous frozen banana shop- we had to get a shot there!
Then back to S&S:

Love this little garden- citrus trees, olive trees, and a cool (this is my only 'cool' in the whole post Mom!- trying to cut back) little fountain.
Aren't they so cute together?


First dance. You can thank Julie and Pete from Elysium for the neat (neat just doesn't sound as cool as 'cool') light and flare.
Yes I do use a tripod on occasion, this was right outside the reception- PCH.
We had a blast! Great wedding, great shots! Want more? click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome, AWESOME shots Joel!!! I have goosebumps!!!!!!!!!