Thursday, October 23, 2008

Old Boston Photos

Just wanted to test out the Picassa to Blogger posting method- trying to find an easy way to show larger images on the blog!

I just grabbed these shots from my archives. I made these in Boston about seven years ago with the good ol' Hasselblad on 22o (6cm square) film. Man, I love the look of these.

We used to have these prints up at the house and everytime I look at them I am reminded of my neice Rachel. You see, we were in Boston to support Rachel in her last of 5 or 6 open heart surgeries at the Boston Childrens Hospital. We (Jeni, my wife) were with her and my Brother and sister-in-law in the pre-op room getting ready to go in. Rachel, having been through this so many times in the past, was crying "NO, NO, I don't want another surgery!" ...The worst thing I've experience in all my life. Needless to say, Jeni and I weren't really helping her stress- what with all our sobbing and stuff- so Jer (my brother) kicked us out.

I had to go outside and collect my thoughts. Took the camera of course. It was raining out but I went walking for a couple of hours.
I think I love these images most because everything kinda came together to really express how I was feeling.

This first shot was in a school yard- the kids were all inside due to the rain- just as Rachel was confined to the hospital room. She couldn't go outside to play either.
This shows what she went through all that pain for- She's living in a whole new life. She's 13 now and plays on the Volleyball team, loves riding dirtbikes, and loves playing in the ocean and surfing with Daddy.
I think this tells more about me. When I have tough things to deal with emotionally I like to be alone for awhile- a long while sometimes. I felt alone.
Again, I like the desolate feel of this one too. It's cold and gloomy and feels like the city has been abandoned.
It's very strange that these images popped up on my screen today because we were just talking about this day last night at dinner- Jer was over and so was Rachel. She was complaining about wearing her medical bracelet because it's not cool. I told her to wear it proudly- that she's tougher and has been through more in her life than 95% of the rest of us.
Love you Rache!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brian Lause said...

Awesome shots Joel. Thanks for sharing such an emotional time in your life.

Brian Lause said...

Awesome shots Joel. Thanks for sharing such an emotional time in your life.