Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the Kooks at House of Blues

Nathan, my neighbor asked yesterday if I could shoot The Kooks last night- what a killer show! The guitarist, Hugh, uses his guitars so we got full access- cool guys for sure. I also wasn't too familiar with their music before the show- I am now:)


Luke, the lead singer, is a great performer, they were rockin' it! The place was packed but I got to sit right in front of the stage for a few songs then went up to the VIP area upstairs. On the way upstairs I swooped right next to the stage, just behind the black curtain- rad vantage point!

Now, you may be thinking "what does this have to do with weddings or portraits". Well, first, this was a fun shoot- a little different than a wedding of course. This work is certainly great training to be a better wedding shooter in that the lighting changed by the second- super tough to get good shots. Also, no flash was allowed- I always welcome more experience in shooting in super low light, like some receptions... Lastly, it was a total blast (did I say that already?)!

Here I was just off stage, the fans were looking right at me!!


Nathan said not to bring a long lens... glad I didn't listen to him:)

From the second floor balcony with the long lens again:

I shot a bunch here, the stobe lights were going so I was trying to get shots when they w

All in all it was great fun: cool music, great company, very exciting. Check them out on iTunes



1 comment:

Jake said...

looks like the GIG was a blast, you need not justify your photography of other venues than weddings, experience of any kind makes al better people. I like the pics of the stage from the balcony....