Thursday, November 02, 2006

NEW YORK CITY!

I am having a great time in NYC. I got in last night and took my first ever NYC taxi ride from JFK to Manhattan- at rush hour!! If you have never been- everything they say about them is true.... and I thought Italians were crazy!! I got to the hotel and talked to my friend Victor and we planned to meet at an art show opening in SOHO. I then took my first subway ride- solo- down to the party. We then met up with some people from GraphiStudio (my album company) at a bar then went to a party at another photographer's studio... then we crashed.
Today was the first day of the show- very cool. I love seeing world class photographers talk about their work- Steve McCurry was the last guy I saw today (you know, he shot the Afghan lady with super green eyes and a brown hood on... it was on the cover of Natl. Geographic about 20 years ago), his travel stuff is just amazing! I sat next to his assistant and intern.. they were young but so into photo- I love it!!
I then went to the largest photo store on the planet- B&H- but only spent $7.50!!!
After that I just walked around the city for a few hours- Times Square, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center... and back. Probably about 5 miles...
This was right outside the convention center between seminars:

What, the pigeons in NY can't read!:

Of course I've got to shoot the bikes- there are so may cool older bikes and the messengers are awesome!!:

Rockefeller center is just beautiful at night!:

I saw this at an old church right on 5th Avenue. I was alone on my walkabout so this really made me ponder life, politics, and the war. Each ribbon has the name of a fallen soldier in Iraq... this was only half of them!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! amazing shots!!! The messangers are a unique breed. It always makes me giggle to see the thin body and the enormous bike chain kept around their waist while in transit.

Anonymous said...

WOW! amazing shots!!! The bike messangers are a unique breed. It always makes me giggle to see the thin body and the enormous bike chain around the waist while in transit to the next stop.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that you got to spend time in NYC!!! How much did that cab ride cost or do I want to know?? We walked out of B&H last time we were there w/2 high def. cams - a far cry from $7.50 (but maybe comparable to your cab ride). AWESOME shots of the city. so jealous!!!